Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why are my Hydrangeas only blooming around the rim of the cluster?

Each year my Hydrangeas get full and tall, but then they only flower around the outer rim of each head of flowers. The buds in the very center never open. The plant is in a part sun and part shade location. What am I doing wrong?

Why are my Hydrangeas only blooming around the rim of the cluster?
Do you have lace cap hydgrangeas? Check out this link to see some pictures of some. They are Hydrangea macrophylla, which have lace cap flowers and some have mop head flowers. You seem to be describing the lace caps.





Let me know!





http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/lace...
Reply:Yes the hydrangea flower you describe is a lacecap style flower. If you want the big 'fluffy' full flowers you need to buy 'mop top' flowered hydrangeas.





Buy in some additional varieties there are hundreds to pick from and it sounds like you have ideal conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment