Thursday, May 20, 2010

How do I prepare Hydrangeas for winter?

Hi,


I moved into a new house this summer and the landscaping included a whole lot of really nice hydrangeas. With winter coming, I`m wondering how I should trim them/cover them up before snowfall. The leaves at the base have started to grow yellow already.





I live in montreal, Canada so when winter comes, it really comes.

How do I prepare Hydrangeas for winter?
there is lots of hydrangea info here....





www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com





very nice folks there and the FAQ's have good answers, too... there's a specific page there about wintering hydrangeas....





I'm going to guess that you have the late season hydrangeas like Annabelle.... look that one up on that site and see if it's that one, then look at what it says about pruning....
Reply:I live in the midwestern united states, so I can relate.


Do not trim them. Always trim them right directly after flowering only, as the new buds set for next year, so no pruning now for us. If you have one called annabella, it gets trimmed back in march.





You don't have to do anything to the hydrangeas. You can leave them as they are, they can add some interest in the winter garden. The leaves will die an fall, and the stems have buds and do lend garden interest for winter.


Only thing that I do us put a 2 inch layer of peat moss around the plant for added fertilizer.





I like to hang old beads or garland on my branches for winter to add sparkle to the garden. Makes them interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment