Saturday, November 14, 2009

When should I transplant my hydrangea bush? I live in the midwest.?

Also, I have one that doesn't bloom but it had flowers on it when I bought it. Now it doesn't bloom. (for 4 years!)

When should I transplant my hydrangea bush? I live in the midwest.?
When it dies this fall. Cut it back to almost the ground, dig it up a put it wherever you want it. How close together do you have the bushes? Maybe you should put them closer together. They also like acid soil, so maybe you should check your soil's PH levels. I hope this helps.
Reply:Now is a great time to transplant your hydrangea as it will give it a chance to get established before it starts blooming next year.


The most common reasons for lack of blooming are:


1)winter cold damage to flower buds


2)improper pruning


3)fertilizing with a high nitrogen fertilizer


Without more details, it is just a guess as to which it may be, without any winter protection, I'd put my money on #1.


No comments:

Post a Comment