Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is there a symbolic meaning or representation to the hydrangea plant?

every winter I find dried hydrangeas in my yard even though I have scoured the neighborhood and can't find any in the summer. I also seem to find hydrangeas bushes or blosoms in most unusual places. Usually places that are associated with a decision I have to make or a conflict I feel.

Is there a symbolic meaning or representation to the hydrangea plant?
This is the meaning that I found off of a wedding website.


Hydrangea: meaning: Devotion. Colors: blue, mauve, pink, red, white Season: Summer to Fall
Reply:I have a hydrangea, and I've always liked them so I was really surprised to see some of these harsh answers from various websites:


------------------------


Understanding


Thank you for understanding


frigidity, heartlessness


Boastfulness


Devotion








Hydrangea: For a period of time, it was very much in vogue for noble human maidens to wear long, trailing pastel-colored gowns and to react to all courting with as much indifference as possible. The cool pastel colors of the hydrangea plant's blossoms probably played a role when poets in the Turamzzyrian Empire designated hydrangea as a symbol of heartlessness.





------------------


I think that although they also seem to mean "boastful, frigid, and heartless," the sentiments of "devotion" and "understanding" hardly describe how beautiful these flowers are. I also think that they should also be symbolic of "sensitivity" or "insightfulness" because the color of their blooms are so easily affected by the acidity/ alkalinity of the soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment